Instructors and education leaders: would you like to use the 4Humanities.org Shout Out for the Humanities student contest to engage your students in creative thinking about the humanities and liberal arts?
Organize a local “creativity workshop” for your students to launch submissions for the contest. This could be an innovative way to bring your students together with your faculty in a roll-up-your-sleeves way to work together on an expansive, important problem that can inspire concrete projects. Think of this as a kind of hands-on seminar.
Use our Contest Kit to get your students going. The kit includes quick definitions of the humanities and suggestions for formats, resources, and production tools—including digital tools. Or provide your own ideas and materials for your students.
4Humanities.org pledges to showcase on its Web site the results of your students’ creativity workshop, whether they are prize winners or not. We’ll do so in a way that gathers them together on a page for your institution. So show off the creativity of your students. Take pictures at your event and perhaps make some videos too that we can show!
Also, think about adding local incentives for your students. Raise local funds or donations of fun gifts so that you can award small prizes for the best student submissions from your community before they are sent on to the 4Humanities.org contest. Even token prizes or certificates for your students would be great incentives!
4Humanities.org designed its contest with a long lead time (announcement of the contest one year before the submission deadline) to allow your local educational and civic leaders to organize events that exploit the contest as a platform for your students’ creativity. Get your students involved! Create lesson plans around the contest. Show your student submissions to your educational leaders and city leaders! Then show them to the world on the 4Humanities.org site.
Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions.
Organizations Hosting Student “Creativity Workshops” for the Contest (in-progress)
Organizations and communities currently planning student creativity workshops for the 4Humanities.org Shout Out For the Humanities contest include the following: (in progress)
- American University in Dubai – Reading Across Campus Programme (series of student activities in fall and winter semesters, 2015-16)
- Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis Arts and Humanities Institute [in planning]
- Slippery Rock University – Creativity Workshop hosted by the Stone House Center for Public Humanities (Bailey Library, February 17, 1-4pm)
- U. California, Santa Barbara – 4Hum@UCSB Creativity Workshop (Dec. 2015) (report on the workshop)
- University of Illinois at Chicago – Institute for the Humanities and the School of Literatures, Cultural Studies and Linguistics (Creativity Workshop: Oct. 26, 2015)
We will add to the above list as we hear from educators who are planning events to incubate student contest submissions. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to run a workshop.