Following up on 4Humanities@UCSB’s previous meetings, when we started humanities advocacy projects and strategized humanities values and media strategies, we invite anyone interested in helping to a “charrette” (a roll-up-your sleeves workshop) on Friday, April 26th, noon-5pm (or any part of that time you can make it) in South Hall 2509. We’re pleased to say that members of 4Humanities@CSUN (the local chapter at California State University, Northridge) will also be joining us.
Please drop in on any part of the charrette, and give us whatever time, energy, and ideas you have. Lunch and refreshments will be served throughout the afternoon. If you can help, please respond to Lindsay Thomas (email@example.com) to indicate when during the charrette you think you might be able to stop by.
The charrette will be devoted to practical work and brainstorming on specific humanities advocacy projects we have started. We’ll have facilitators there who can get you started on, or who will seek your advice on, projects and activities that include the following:
1. Creating a menu of humanities values, evidence for those values, and effective narratives or arguments for communicating those values (to help generate content for advocacy messages).
2. Writing statements (or recruiting people who’d be interested in making statements) for our “Humanities, Plain & Simple” project. (Facilitator: Alan Liu) See https://4humanities.org/category/humanities-plain-and-simple/
3. Working on our online Humanities Showcase (or researching good examples of humanities research and teaching that could be showcased). (Facilitator: Alan Liu) See http://humanitiesshowcase.wix.com/4humanities-showcase
4. Contributing to our Humanities Infographics project. (Facilitator: Lindsay Thomas) See https://4humanities.org/category/for-the-public/humanities-infographics/
5. Brainstorming and scripting an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to sponsor a contest for designing humanities media campaigns. (This also involves working with the 4Humanities@CSUN group on planning the video for the crowdfunding campaign.) (Facilitator: Kristin Cornelius, CSUN) See http://www.indiegogo.com/
6. Participating in the 4Humanities@CSUN Backpack Mini-Documentary video project (and the related 4Humanities@UCSB “Outreach Humanities” project). (Facilitator: Kristin Cornelius, CSUN) See https://4humanities.org/category/backpack-mini-documentaries/
If you previously began work on another 4Humanities project and would like to see it included in this charrette, please let us know.
4Humanities@UCSB Co-convenors: Linda Adler-Kassner (Writing Program), Claudio Fogu (French & Italian, UCSB), and Alan Liu (English, UCSB)
Research Assistant & Graduate-Student Coordinator: Lindsay Thomas (English, UCSB)